A Wi-Fi network allows you to connect your devices to the Internet without the hassle of Ethernet cables. Your Wi-Fi router comes with a default network name and password. Often both are printed on the router body itself. To do all of this, you need to access your router’s management interface. And to do that, you must first find your router’s local IP address on your network. Most routers provide a web-based management interface that you can access through your browser by entering the router’s local IP address. Your first step is to find that IP address.
Changing your Wi-Fi network name and password is a simple and important way to protect your devices, but it can also be a little daunting. Anyone can connect to your Wi-Fi network without a password. This means that strangers can hijack the network and slow down your Internet speed.
How To Change Wifi Name and Password
All standalone wireless routers and gateways provide a web interface so you can change settings. However, manufacturers can also provide a mobile app to change the wireless network name, password, and other settings from your phone or tablet.
How To Change Wifi Name and Password TP-Link:
- Login to the router admin panel with the default IP address – 192.168.0.1 / 192.168.1.1.
- Enter the default username and password (in most cases admin/admin).
- Navigate to Wireless > Wireless Security > WPA/WPA2 – Personal (Recommended) > Password.
- Enter your preferred password and save the change.
How To Change Wifi Name and Password D link:
- Login to your router’s settings page using the default IP address – 192.168.1.1 / 192.168.0.1.
- Enter your username and password (or here is a list of default usernames and passwords).
- Go to Wireless > Wireless Security > Security Mode set to WPA2 only > Pre-Shared Key: Enter your preferred password.
- Apply the change > restart your WiFi and the new password will be applied.
How To Change Wifi Name and Password NETGEAR:
- Open your router’s configuration page using its default IP address – 192.168.1.1 / 192.168.0.1 / http://routerlogin.com/.
- For authentication, enter the default username and password.
- Go to Wireless > Security Options > Select WPA2-PSK [AES] > Now enter your preferred password in Passphrase.
- Apply odds and restart your WiFi for the changes to take effect.
iOS 14/iPadOS 14
Step 1: Tap to open Settings.
Step 2: Tap Wi-Fi.
Step 3: Tap on your network name.
Step 4: Write down the number displayed next to Router.
Step 1: Right-click the Start button and select Windows PowerShell from the Power User menu.
Step 2: Type the command “IPCONFIG” in Windows PowerShell and press Enter.
Step 3: Make a note of the number next to Default Gateway.
Android 10/11 (Samsung)
Step 1: Swipe down from the top of the notification with one finger to expand the notification frame and tap the “gear” icon to open the settings panel.
Step 2: Tap Connections.
Step 3: Tap on WiFi.
Step 4: Tap the “Gear” icon next to your network name.
macOS Big Sur and newer
Step 1: Click the System Preferences icon on the Dock or click the Apple logo in the upper left corner, followed by System Preferences in the drop-down menu.
Step 2: Select Network.
Step 3: If you are on a wired connection, note the number next to Router.
If you are on a Wi-Fi connection, click the Advanced button.
Step 4: Click on the TCP/IP tab.
Step 5: Note the number next to Router.
Log in to your router using a browser
Step 1: Open any web browser and enter the router’s IP address in the address bar.
Step 2: Your router’s web interface appears in the browser. Log in using your username and password.
Change your wireless network
Once connected to your router, you will quickly discover that there are many settings you can adjust. However, we will focus on only two: your network name and your password.
Change Your Network Name
Step 1: Click Wi-Fi Settings listed on the left under Wi-Fi Settings.
Step 2: Enter a new name in the text field next to Wi-Fi Name. Do this for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, but make sure they are different.
Step 3: Click the Apply button.
Change your network security
Step 1: Click Wi-Fi Settings listed on the left under Wi-Fi Settings.
Step 2: Click the download arrow next to Security Mode and select WPA2 Personal from the drop-down menu. Do this for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.
Step 2: Enter a new network password in the text field next to Wi-Fi Password. Do this for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, but make sure they are different.
Step 3: Click the Apply button.
how to change wifi name and password windstream
For black and white wireless modem without Windstream logo
When the router is connected to the computer, open a new tab in the preferred internet browser and enter the IP: “http://192.168.254.254/wlsecurity.html”.
A new main menu will appear on the left and we click on “Setup AP”.
We go to the “WPA-WAPI Passphrase” field and enter the new password.
To save the changes we click on “Apply-Save”
The process changes for black and white wireless modems without the Windstream logo when connected with a wired connection with the next steps:
- Enter the IP address “192.168.254.254” into an Internet browser.
- Enter the word “admin” in the “Username” and “Password” fields.
- Click on “Home Network” in the top menu and then on “WLAN settings”.
- Select the “Wireless Security” option and enter a new password in the “Use Costume Passphrase” section.
- Complete the process by clicking on “Save”.
For router models [email protected] 1704N
- Enter the IP in an internet browser: “192.168.254.254”.
- If a command prompt window appears asking you to complete user and password credentials, write “admin” in both fields.
- Click the Wireless option in the left menu, then click Basic.
- Now select the “Security” option.
- Select the “WPA2-PSK” option and then write the new password in “WPA-WAPI Passphrase”.
- Click “Apply-Save” to complete the process.
For Sagem 2705, 4320, 1704N, and similar models
- Enter the IP address “192.168.254.254” using the internet browser of your choice.
- For the credentials, enter “admin” in the “Username” and “Password” sections. For the 2705 router model, locate the login information in the manual and physically on the device.
- From the menu on the left, select Wireless, then Security.
- Enable the “WPA2-PSK” option in the “Network authentication” section.
- Write a new password in the Pre-Shared Key field.
- Complete the process by clicking on “Apply-Save”.
For the ActionTec T3200 router model
- Using the preferred browser like Chrome, Mozilla, Edge, or any other, type the IP “192.168.254.254” in the address bar.
- Enter “admin” as the username for the credentials, while the password is written directly on the back of the device.
- Click “Wireless Setup” at the top.
- Choose the band you want your WiFi to work on: “2.4 GHz or 5 GHz”.
- Select “WPA2” as the encryption type for the password.
- Click Custom Key Passphrase and enter the new password.
- Save all changes by clicking on “Apply”.
how to change wifi name and password att
Use our Smart Home Manage app to easily change your password.
- Select More. Smartphone users will find More in the main menu icon.
- Select network.
- Select the Wi-Fi network name or password to change.
- Select the X to the right of the line to erase the existing name or password.
- Enter a new Wi-Fi network name or password.
- Select Save.
To change your Wi-Fi password on 2Wire/Pace
- Start by going to http://192.168.1.254
Note: You may need to enter your device passcode to continue. The default device passcode is on the side of your gateway (it’s not the same as your Wi-Fi password).
- Go to Settings > LAN > Wi-Fi
- Scroll down to User Network
- Save all changes made to your device
how to change wifi name and password cox
How to change Cox WiFi password from web browser?
- Connect your Cox WiFi Gateway to a PC or laptop via an Ethernet cable. Disconnect all other devices from the Cox home network and close all apps, programs and background files.
- Physically inspect your gateway for a sticker showing the default passkey and router IP address. You can also consult the owner’s manual, the manufacturer’s website or the Cox Welcome Kit booklet for this information.
- Open your favorite web browser on the computer.
- In the address bar, enter the gateway IP address, which might look like 192.168.1.1. This will direct you to the router setup site as operated by your internet service provider, which in this case is Cox.
- Now in the pop-up window, enter the default access credentials you searched for in step 2. User ID can be “admin” and password can be just “password” , depending on the make and model of your router. You will then be connected to your router.
- Next, head to the menu on your left, and under Basic, click on Wireless here, you will come across the current network SSID and passwords, which will be displayed next to WEP (see Key 1 field) and WPA/WPA2 encryption (see Passphrase field).
- Click Edit in the main security field and enter a new Cox WiFi password.
- Hit Save and you’re done!
- Reconnect your wireless devices to the Cox Internet with the new password and see if they load the web pages optimally. Call 1-855-814-6044 if you have a problem. Cox password setup and recovery support agents are always ready to help.
How do I change the Cox WiFi password from my WiFi account?
- Check if you have the correct modems before accessing the My WiFi account. If so, proceed to the next steps.
- Disconnect all additional devices from the Cox home Wi-Fi network.
- Open your favorite web browser on a PC or laptop.
- Go to the official homepage of com.
- Enter your Cox account user ID and password. Don’t remember them? Click here to learn how to recover or reset your credentials.
- Once you are there, scroll down to the Internet section.
- In My account, click on My wifi here, you will be able to see the network settings for the 2.4 GHz main network and the 5 GHz guest network, depending on your router specifications.
- To change your primary network password, scroll down to the Wireless Password field.
- Click Show Password, then click the password to change it.
- Enter a new password and press Save. That’s it!
- Reconnect your wireless devices to the Cox home Wi-Fi network with the new password. Open a website to test. If it loads quickly, then congratulations, you have successfully changed your Cox WiFi password. If not, call 1-855-814-6044 for immediate assistance with the password update process.
How do I change the Cox WiFi password from the Cox WiFi app?
- Download the free Cox WiFi app from Google Play Store or App Store. Make sure you have Android 6.0 or higher and iOS version 11.0 or higher.
- Open the Cox WiFi app on your mobile device.
- Tap Sign In and tap Continue when the pop-up message appears asking if you want to use Cox.net to sign in.
- Enter your Cox username in the User ID field and the account password in the Password field.
- Tap Continue.
- On the Cox WiFi Overview screen, find the Connect option in the bottom menu bar and select it.
- After that tap on View Network. A new window will open displaying your gateway specifications.
- Near the top right corner of the screen, there will be a pencil icon. Press.
- In the Change WiFi Settings menu, check or uncheck the option saying, Use different names and passwords for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, depending on your preferences.
- Enter a new password in the Wi-Fi Password field.
- Tap Apply Changes.
- Wait for the settings to update. A new screen verifying the changed WiFi settings will appear. Press Close.
- Reconnect all your devices to the Cox WiFi using the new password. They should work just fine. Call 1-855-814-6044 if not.
if you want to change your wifi name or password, there are a few things you can do. You can go to the router’s settings, change the name or password, or visit a different network. If you’re having trouble getting into your router’s settings, be sure to check out our troubleshooting guide. Lastly, remember to keep your wifi security measures up by changing your password regularly and using a unique name for each device.